Posted by The ArachNerd on November 27, 2009
Okay, so maybe that whole Tryptophan thing is just an urban myth, but there’s no denying that those big Thanksgiving meals can sap the life right out of you! Therefore, since we did Thankful songs last year, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight another holiday tradition, the afternoon nap!
- Behind the Wall of Sleep – the Smithereens
- The Devil Never Sleeps – Iron & Wine
- Come Into My Sleep – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Sleepwalker – the Wallflowers
- Talking in Your Sleep – The Romantics
Posted in Music, Photo Post | Tagged: Friday Five, skywatch friday | 1 Comment »
Posted by The ArachNerd on November 20, 2009
I love Autumn; the crisp air, the beautiful colors of nature, the chance to break out the sweatshirts & jackets, the realization that the holiday season is quickly approaching…
Wait a minute. The holiday season is quickly approaching?
I better start Christmas shopping!
How about a few FALL songs in the meantime?
- I Fall Down – U2
- Fall Line – Jack Johnson
- I Fall to Pieces – Patsy Cline
- Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
- I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You – Tom Waits
And as an added bonus, the song that Michael Stipe has referred to as his favorite REM song (and definitely one of mine too)…
Posted in Music, Photo Post | Tagged: Friday Five, skywatch friday | 5 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on November 13, 2009
An early morning moon, still visible in the sunlight.
Posted in Photo Post | Tagged: moon, skywatch friday | 7 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on November 6, 2009
The sky was blue & cloudless on Sunday afternoon, but I was able to snap this picture of a little bird in the tree by our garage. I think it’s a starling, but I’m not sure.
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley & the Wailers
- Maybe Sparrow – Neko Case
- When Doves Cry – Prince & the Revolution
- Swan Swan Hummingbird – R.E.M.
- Roadrunner – Bo Diddley (One of my favorite versions of this song was made for the Backbeat soundtrack, which was actually a cover of a cover… Dave Grohl, Dave Pirner, Thurston Moore, Mike Mills, Greg Dulli and Don Fleming as the very young Beatles covering Bo Diddley – sounds weird, but it’s awesome.)
And, just in case you hadn’t heard…
Posted in Music, Photo Post | Tagged: Friday Five, skywatch friday, songs about birds | 5 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on October 30, 2009
Special Halloween Eve Edition!
The skies were almost orange that morning – but I LOVE those clouds. I tried to take some pictures of a full moon, which seemed more appropriate for this weekend, but they just didn’t turn out. Going to have to play with the settings & figure out how to get a good one.
And how about the Friday Five portion of this post? It’s not as fun as last year’s - but it’s still pretty good!
- Halloween Head – Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
- Dr. Bones – Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
- The Invisible Man – Queen
- Speak of the Devil – Chris Isaak
- I’m Your Boogie Man – KC & the Sunshine Band
And one more thing… leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!
Posted in Music, Photo Post | Tagged: Friday Five, halloween, skywatch friday | 2 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on October 23, 2009
I thought this morning I would combine SkyWatch Friday with Friday Five, which I haven’t done in a while. The songs in this case are inspired by the picture; a gorgeous sunrise that I was watching in my rear-view mirror on my way to work Tuesday morning.
- Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning – Cowboy Junkies
- Sunrise – Norah Jones
- Morning Has Broken – Cat Stevens
- Sunshine – G. Love (with Jack Johnson & Zach Gill)
- Why Does the Sun Really Shine – They Might Be Giants (the answer song to their own original, scientifically incorrect, Why Does the Sun Shine)
Have a great weekend!
Posted in Music, Photo Post | Tagged: Friday Five, morning, skywatch friday, sunrise | 4 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on October 16, 2009
Light, feathery Cirrus clouds as seen from a third floor hospital window last weekend – where we have spent entirely too much time lately with my Father-in-law.
Posted in Photo Post | Tagged: clouds, skywatch friday | 6 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on October 9, 2009
I took these while driving home from work a few weeks ago. They’re nice to look at right now because today is our second dark, dreary, rainy day in a row.
Posted in Photo Post | Tagged: pictures, skywatch friday | 2 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on September 18, 2009
I had to stop on my way home from work last week to take this picture. The sky was pretty and the corn tassels made me think of Grandpa. He always looked at other farmers’ fields whenever we drove anywhere and talked about what kind of crop it was, what stage it was in, and what it all meant. He passed away in 2002, but every time I drive by a corn field I think about him. He was quite a guy.
Posted in Photo Post | Tagged: corn, skywatch friday | 2 Comments »
Posted by The ArachNerd on September 4, 2009
An unusually cool and cloudy August afternoon ballgame at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, MO.
The longer the game went on, the cloudier and cooler it got. By the 7th inning stretch, the wife was ready for a vendor to walk by yelling “HOT COFFEE” rather than “ICE COLD BEER”. Which, for the record, did not happen.
I’m pretty sure they’re going to have to add another flag to this array after this year’s World Series. (Hey, it never hurts to think positive, does it?)
Posted in Photo Post | Tagged: cardinals, skywatch friday, st. louis | 4 Comments »