Now that’s a lot of Ms! In lieu of the usual Monday fare, I am following Art’s lead today by participating in a Music Meme. It took some thought, but it was kind of fun to think about for a few minutes.
Just so you know – I ripped the questions and answered them before I read anyone else’s responses. It’s pretty funny to see if there were any similarities that way – which there were!
1. Of all the bands/artists in your record collection, which one do you own the most albums by? Without actually counting, I would say it is a close race between U2, REM, and Tori Amos. (I was w-a-a-a-y into her several years ago and she put out tons of albums.)
2. What was the last song you listened to? Well, I haven’t listened to anything so far today. I think John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” was playing on the radio when we got home last night if I’m not mistaken.
3. What’s in your record/CD player right now? Cowboy Junkies “Trinity Revisited”.
4. What song would you say sums you up? Uh, Weird Al “White & Nerdy”
5. What’s your favorite local band? Depends on your definition of “local” I guess. I don’t frequent the local music scene, but I’m hoping to catch Lou Jetton & 61 South next weekend at a BBQ festival in Paducah, mostly because he used to be my favorite weather man on one of our local news channels. But the best to come out of these parts, in my opinion, would be Uncle Tupelo.
6. What was the last show you attended? I wish I went to more shows – I love live music. I’m just getting too old for it. I think the last one was The Wallflowers and that was a few years ago.
7. What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to? Hands down, the best show was U2’s Pop-Mart tour in St. Louis!
8. What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert? I saw some pretty pathetic Christian bands back in high school, but all I can think of right now was Red Red Meat, who opened for Smashing Pumpkins. That was pretty painful.
9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of? To paraphrase author Sarah Vowell, most of the musicians that I enjoy seem like pretentious, arrogant a-holes. But I don’t really hate anyone – just wouldn’t want to hang-out with them.
10. What show are you looking forward to? I would like to go see John Prine next month, but I doubt if I will be able to.
11. What is your favorite band shirt? I think the only band shirt I still have that almost fits is a reprint of a Rattle & Hum shirt. But back in the day I loved my Mellencamp Scarecrow Tour shirt! It was a play on the FFA logo on a baseball jersey style shirt. I rocked that one a lot!
12. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day? Probably Jack Johnson. That would be a very mellow experience filled with tropical beaches & ukulele playing.
13. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day? “In love” is kinda strong, but uh… Norah Jones.
14. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie? Is this a trick question?
15. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal? If those are my only three choices, I would have to pick Punk.
16. Name 4 flawless albums: Wow. That’s a tough one! I don’t think flawless is even possible, but four that mean something to me & that I can listen to from beginning to end, over & over, are;
U2 – Achtung Baby
Counting Crows – August & Everything After (defined the 90’s for me!)
Elvis Presley – Elvis Presley
Lyle Lovett – Pontiac
17. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek? I knew that long before I started filling out this meme!
18. What was the greatest decade for music? Every decade has its ups and downs. I would have to say late 50’s early 60’s when much of what we call rock & roll and R&B were born.
19. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own? Again, without counting, I’m going to say in the neighborhood of 25-30. Maybe more.
20. What is your favorite movie soundtrack? That would be Christopher Guest’s “A Mighty Wind” – I can sing along with every song, laugh out-loud, and get cheered up every single time I listen to it!
21. What was your last musical ‘phase’ before you wised up? (Have I actually wised up? Really?) The one when I was too scared to listen to anything not labeled “Christian” for fear of accidentally worshipping Satan was particularly bad. But I guess my last actual phase was Grunge, though I hesitate to admit, I still like some of the music from that scene.
22. What’s the crappiest CD/record/etc. you’ve ever bought? Ooooh, I’ve bought some doozies in my time. I once bought a cassette in a bargain bin that I thought was an Elvis Christmas Album, but when I got home I realized it was a Christmas album by just the Jordanaires. That was just awful.
23. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs? I prefer CDs I guess – but I still love the vinyl too! The feeling of playing those old records on a turntable just can’t be matched! Sound quality be damned!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the obligatory meme “tag”: anyone who reads this is hereby officially tagged! So there!