Okay, so maybe that whole Tryptophan thing is just an urban myth, but there’s no denying that those big Thanksgiving meals can sap the life right out of you! Therefore, since we did Thankful songs last year, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight another holiday tradition, the afternoon nap!
- Behind the Wall of Sleep – the Smithereens
- The Devil Never Sleeps – Iron & Wine
- Come Into My Sleep – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Sleepwalker – the Wallflowers
- Talking in Your Sleep – The Romantics
I love Autumn; the crisp air, the beautiful colors of nature, the chance to break out the sweatshirts & jackets, the realization that the holiday season is quickly approaching…
Wait a minute. The holiday season is quickly approaching?
I better start Christmas shopping!
How about a few FALL songs in the meantime?
- I Fall Down – U2
- Fall Line – Jack Johnson
- I Fall to Pieces – Patsy Cline
- Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
- I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You – Tom Waits
And as an added bonus, the song that Michael Stipe has referred to as his favorite REM song (and definitely one of mine too)…
An early morning moon, still visible in the sunlight.
The sky was blue & cloudless on Sunday afternoon, but I was able to snap this picture of a little bird in the tree by our garage. I think it’s a starling, but I’m not sure.
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley & the Wailers
- Maybe Sparrow – Neko Case
- When Doves Cry – Prince & the Revolution
- Swan Swan Hummingbird – R.E.M.
- Roadrunner – Bo Diddley (One of my favorite versions of this song was made for the Backbeat soundtrack, which was actually a cover of a cover… Dave Grohl, Dave Pirner, Thurston Moore, Mike Mills, Greg Dulli and Don Fleming as the very young Beatles covering Bo Diddley – sounds weird, but it’s awesome.)
And, just in case you hadn’t heard…
Special Halloween Eve Edition!
The skies were almost orange that morning – but I LOVE those clouds. I tried to take some pictures of a full moon, which seemed more appropriate for this weekend, but they just didn’t turn out. Going to have to play with the settings & figure out how to get a good one.
And how about the Friday Five portion of this post? It’s not as fun as last year’s - but it’s still pretty good!
- Halloween Head – Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
- Dr. Bones – Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
- The Invisible Man – Queen
- Speak of the Devil – Chris Isaak
- I’m Your Boogie Man – KC & the Sunshine Band
And one more thing… leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!
I thought this morning I would combine SkyWatch Friday with Friday Five, which I haven’t done in a while. The songs in this case are inspired by the picture; a gorgeous sunrise that I was watching in my rear-view mirror on my way to work Tuesday morning.
- Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning – Cowboy Junkies
- Sunrise – Norah Jones
- Morning Has Broken – Cat Stevens
- Sunshine – G. Love (with Jack Johnson & Zach Gill)
- Why Does the Sun Really Shine – They Might Be Giants (the answer song to their own original, scientifically incorrect, Why Does the Sun Shine)
Have a great weekend!
Light, feathery Cirrus clouds as seen from a third floor hospital window last weekend – where we have spent entirely too much time lately with my Father-in-law.